A Fashionable Pursuit

Arek Monday, June 26, 2006
With the FIFA World Cup going on in Germany, there's been a worldwide soccer craze- at least in my part of the globe it has. Suddenly, it has become fashionable to watch, talk and breathe soccer.

People who normally don't cared a fig for soccer is suddenly staying up til the middle of the night to very enthusiastically watch soccer. By enthusiastic, I mean they are shouting out stuff and reacting as if they know what is going on, when I don't even think most of them know what an "offside" is. Of course, I'm sure there are many of those that actually ARE soccer fanatics and DO know whats going on. But what I'm saying is that soccer has become such a trend recently that there are many who are suddenly loving soccer because it is fashionable to do so and not because of the sport. And this is not limited to normal people. It is even widely spread in the media, where they'd have local pop idols go on soccer TV shows and talk about what they think of the coming soccer game when they clearly have no idea what is going on.

Now I'm not saying I'm not a little bit affected by this soccer fever myself. I just don't pretend to know anything about the sport. For me, soccer is just a bunch of people kicking the ball back and forth. And I am personally vouching for England only because I think David Beckham is hot and after watching a documentary about him on tv just now, I would like to see him lead England to win the World Cup before he retires.
On a side note, soccer stars do have pretty girlfriends/wives who loves to spend their other half's phenomenal earnings on fashion. I would like to say that Cheryl Tweedy (left, Ashley Cole's gf) needs to get a seamless strapless bra. And that something is off with Posh but I can't put my finger on it. Could it be the hair? Or could it be that she just needs to buy food?

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, if this soccer craze is limited to my corner of the globe. Is soccer suddenly fashionable with the rest of the world as well?

Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment